Upholstered fabric can be a great choice for furniture and other products, but it is important to take the time to learn how to clean and care for their fabric the right way. Cleaning upholstered fabrics is not always easy, but with the right care fine upholstered fabrics can retain their wonderful good looks for many years to come. There are simple ways you can help to enhance the life of your upholstered furniture. Some of these upholstery-friendly care tips include:
- Giving the upholstered furniture a light brushing and vacuuming at least once a week will help to remove dirt from the fabric. A light brushing will help to keep the fabric clean and keep dirt from penetrating the upholstery.
- The cushions on upholstered furniture should be reversed, turned and fluffed once a week as well. This frequent turning will help the cushions wear evenly. Reversing the cushions on a regular basis will also help you spot any stains early, before they have had time to set.
- If any spots or stains are noted, be sure to remove them right away using a mild cleanser. When cleaning the upholstered furniture, be sure to check your cleaning code (see codes below) always start with the weakest solution possible, slowly building the concentration until the stain has been fully eradicated.
- Before cleaning the upholstery, brush or vacuum away the loose dirt first. This will help to avoid rubbing in any existing dirt as the fabric is cleaned. A strong brush can be used to apply the cleaner to stained areas. When brushing the stained area, avoid rubbing or scrubbing the fabric too hard. After a minute or two the cleaner can then be carefully wiped away using a damp sponge or cloth.
- The upholstery should be carefully dried after it has been cleaned. Leaving a window open or running a fan will help the fabric dry more quickly and more thoroughly.
- When it its time to clean the entire piece of upholstery, we recommend using a professional cleaning company.